There are days when I’m bored with my usual muesli and yoghurt for breakfast. Especially now, during lockdown, when every day seems the same. These are the days when carrot muffins come to the rescue! They are quick, yummy and healthy. I just did them yesterday and see them smiling at me while I’m writing this 🙂
4 medium carrots (2 cups grated)
1 cup plain flour
½ cup whole grain flour
1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
3 large eggs or 4 smaller ones
⅔ cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
Spices: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar (optional)
1 and ¼ cup icing sugar
3 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
2-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Peel and grate carrots, measure out 2 cups.
3. Sift flour into a bowl together with baking powder, soda, salt and spices.
4. In a second, larger bowl, mix (with a spoon or mixer at low speed): oil, eggs, sugar, grated carrots, vanilla extract. Then add to the flour mixture and stir gently.
5. Put the dough into muffin forms and place them in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Personally, I avoid icing on my baked goodies, but if you like yours sweet, this is the moment to prepare your icing. Mix powder sugar with orange zest and 2 tablespoons of orange juice and stir. If necessary, add more juice to obtain the right thickness of the icing. Take the cookies out of the oven. Put them aside for 10 minutes and then cover with icing.